Friday 16 December 2011

I CLOSED MY EYES DREW BACK THE CURTAIN

Andrew Lloyd Weber, "Any dream will do" from Joseph & amazing dreamcoat

I closed my eyes, whaaahh, Drew back the curtains, aaaarghh
To see for certain, whaahhh, what I thought I knew
But fears like paranoia, stops me from perceiving aaaahhh
Any different ideas aaahhh, only one nightmare / dream will do
I thought I must believe, what I'd been told to think
Or else I'd disappear, down the hole of a sink
Yes I thought I needed to hold the absolute correct doctrine
or I'd be damned for not believing fantasy ,fiction


One of the best bits in the Bible says:
Romans 12v17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay" etc - quote from Deuteronomy 32v35, "It is mine to avenge; I will repay. In due time their foot will slip; their day of disaster is near and their doom rushes upon them."
So why didn't the God of the Israelites give a commandment 6b If there is any terminating needing done I the Almighty, all powerful god will do it all by myself and I don't need henchmen, I don't want people to pick up weapons against each other ever. I am perfectly capable of supernaturally teleporting people up to my judgment seat when they are about to commit serious crime. Or maybe I will just speak personally to each person to reason with them and convince them to behave in a civilized manner.
The Bible gives examples of what you would expect if there was a real god doing real stuff e.g Acts 5v1-11 has Ananias & Sapphira drop dead, Acts 10v11 has the Lord hurl hailstones on the Amorites.
Why didn't the Levites in Exodus 32v27 refuse to slay those who were undecided about "following" God , saying to Moses, "Well you just gave us commandment no. 6, Do not murder, so we are afraid you got your orders mixed up and we might break that commandment. Also if God shows himself reliably to be of real benefit then i'm sure everyone will be queuing up for stuff and being really grateful soon enough"
Note Exodus 32v35 has the Lord striking with plague those responsible for making the golden calf. Though it could have just been a coincidence and no one in the Bible understood microbiology or gave understanding as to how to make antibiotics or how they work. So anyway why didn't Moses just say that the protection of the Lord would be removed from those who made the golden calf and they would get plague, instead of telling the Levites to attack their fellow Israelites? Also it is odd that Exodus 2v12 has Moses so concerned for the life of the Israelites but in Exodus 32 he acts just as badly as the slave drivers he criticised. Why didn't Moses just try to reason with the slave driver or his superiors to get better treatment of the Israelites ? Why didn't he warn of a supernatural punishment by god rather than pick up a weapon himself?

No comments:

Post a Comment